Saturday, July 4, 2009

68 Hot Dogs?

Joey Chestnut ate 68 hot dogs in buns. That little fact rose to the top of my July 4th Yahoo! News list.

I'm not sure what to think or feel about this. An indescribable repulsion is gagging my throat as I write these words. I can hardly imagine eating two Nathan's hot dogs, never mind 68. The nitrates in one would leave me stranded with a headache for the rest of the day.

But I suppose that on the celebration of the birth of our great nation, what other news would I expect to be at the top? A blurb about a company promoting disgusting excess and then celebrating it. Does that sound unpatriotic of me? I hope not. I'm just not surprised. But, in the future, I will expect more from our harbingers of news.

Hey, congrats to Joey Chestnut for being able to stuff his face so quickly. I think he chowed those dogs in record time -- 10 minutes? Maybe Pepto-Bismol could get in on the action, capitalize on a post-eating indigestion reality tv show. Who vomits and/or recovers first? Something tells me we'd have more viewers than we'd like to believe.

Yes, God Bless Our Great Nation and its love of hot dogs.

Happy 4th!

Next year, Joey, go nitrate-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment